Re: Surgery and CP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ramp Ahead - WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lulu on September 09, 1998 at 00:49:37:

In Reply to: Surgery and CP posted by Anee Stanford on June 24, 1998 at 00:08:55:

you could schedule a surgery like this for early in the summer, so it wouldn't interfere with your regular school year, and give you some time to revcover. from what you described, this sounds like a very important surgery that would allow you to walk better. in the long run, getting up on your feet is a real health bonus. the weight on the joints, muscle formation, etc. even completely paralyzed persons use standers to get their weight on their feet.

my son is currently wearing braces to stretch his achilles tendons (he walks on his toes, which shortens the tendons) i thought it would be a dramatic psychological problem for him, but that has not turned out to be true. if i had left the decision to him, he wouldn't have chosen the braces, but now he is glad that he walks better and seems more grounded. it's not surgery, but some of the same principles apply. things always seem much more devastating when you first hear them, but many treatments are worth having. what do you think? just playing devil's advocate here.

i just tned into this site, and look forward to coming back. thank you, lulu

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ramp Ahead - WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]